First Steps

We can help you at this most difficult time

Contact Crabtree and Son as soon as possible, enabling us to advise you on what steps to take next. You do not need to wait until you have registered the death to contact your funeral director.

Meeting your family for the first time.

You can arrange a mutually convenient time to meet us, either in the comfort of your own home or at our premises. Please don’t feel under any pressure, some families prefer time to collect their thoughts, others wish to discuss arrangements as soon as possible. We will then make the arrangements for the funeral on your behalf, including liaising with the various people and organisations involved. We will guide you through the local customs and any appropriate regulations.

If the person has died at home and the death was expected then you will need to call the persons normal doctor. They will confirm that death has occurred. You should then contact us (any time, day or night) and we will arrange to come to your home and take your loved one to our private Chapel of Rest.

If the person has died at a hospital you will be advised by the Bereavement Services Department at the hospital. You should still contact us as soon as possible. The sooner we know, the sooner we can put you at ease and start to help you.

If the death was unexpected and the person has not been seen by a doctor within the previous fourteen days, the death will be referred to the Coroner. The Coroner will then investigate the cause of death. Again, if the death is referred to the Coroner, you should contact us immediately as we are still able to help you with the process and even start making provisional funeral arrangements before the Coroner has come to a decision.

Registration of a Death

The death must be registered within 5 working days unless it has been referred to the Coroner. You will need to make an appointment with the Registrar in the area where the death occurred. You should contact us for advice and we can book you an appointment with the Registrar's office in the right area.

You will need to take the following documents to the registrar :

The details the Registrar will need include :

The Registrar will give you :

You can also make an appointment at the "Tell Us Once" service, which can notify other areas of the council as well as government departments for you.

List of local Registrars